- Ph.D(Computer Science), KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2014)
- M.S(CS – Distributed Systems), KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden (2009)
- B.S(Computer Science), National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Pakistan (2004)
Dr. Irfan Younas is currently appointed as an Associate Professor and Coordinator of AI & Data Science program in the department of Computer Science at the National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences Lahore, where he leads the Optimization and Data Science (OptiMi'nDS) research group. He received his PhD from KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. His current research interests include Evolutionary Computation, Swarm Intelligence, Evolutionary Deep Learning, Optimization, Metaheuristics, Multi-objective Optimization, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, and Machine Learning. He has been serving as peer reviewer for international journals and conferences. He has published in top computer science international journals like Neurocomputing, Knowledge-Based Systems, and Expert Systems with Applications. Previously, Dr. Irfan has worked on different military and defense related projects carried out at the Swedish Defence Research Agency (FOI). Moreover, he has around 8 years of extensive industry experience in Design, Development, Implementation and Management of systems in wide variety of areas. He was awarded fully funded scholarship by HEC to undergo the Masters and PhD studies at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden. He also enjoys frequent international collaborations and has a number of successful MS and ongoing PhD theses supervisions.
- * means equal contribution.
- + means student under my supervision.
- Qamar Askari+, and Irfan Younas. "Improved Political Optimizer for Complex Landscapes and Engineering Optimization Problems." Expert Systems with Applications 182 (2021): 115178. (Impact Factor = 6.954)
- Maria Tamoor+, Irfan Younas, and Hassan Mohy-ud-Din. “Hybrid Active Contour Model for Robust Endocardial Segmentation.” Multimedia Tools and Applications (2021): 1-27. (Impact Factor = 2.757)
- Maria Tamoor+, and Irfan Younas. “A Novel Hybrid Model for Automatic Segmentation of Medical Images using an Evolutionary Algorithm and Active Contour Model.” Journal of X-Ray Science and Technology (2021): 1-19. (Impact Factor = 1.535)
- Qamar Askri+, Irfan Younas, and Mehreen Saeed. “Emphasizing the Importance of Shift-Invariance in Metaheuristics by Using Whale Optimization Algorithm as a Testbed.” Soft Computing, Accepted, 2021: (Impact Factor = 3.643)
- Saba Kanwal+, Irfan Younas, and Maryam Bashir. "Evolving Convolutional Autoencoders Using Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization", Computers & Electrical Engineering 91 (2021): 107108: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2021.107108. (Impact Factor = 2.663)
- Qamar Askari+, and Irfan Younas. "Political Optimizer Based Feedforward Neural Network for Classification and Function Approximation" Neural Processing Letters 53, no. 01, (2021): 429-458. (Impact Factor = 2.891)
- Shah Bano+, MaryamBashir, and Irfan Younas. "A Many-objective Memetic Generalized Differential Evolution Algorithm for DNA Sequence Design", IEEE ACESS 8 (2020): 222684-222699. (Impact Factor = 3.745)
- Qamar Askari+ , Irfan Younas, and Mehreen Saeed. "Political Optimizer: A novel socio-inspired meta-heuristic for global optimization." Knowledge-Based Systems (2020): 105709. (Impact Factor = 5.921)
- Qamar Askari+, Mehreen Saeed, and Irfan Younas. "Heap-based optimizer inspired by corporate rank hierarchy for global optimization." Expert Systems with Applications (2020): 113702. (Impact Factor = 5.452)
- Irfan Younas*, Uzman Perwaiz+*, and Adeem Ali Anwar+. "Many-objective BAT algorithm." Plos one 15, no. 6 (2020): e0234625. (Impact Factor = 2.740)
- Qamar Askari+, Irfan Younas, and Mehreen Saeed. "Critical evaluation of sine cosine algorithm and a few recommendations." In Proceedings of the 2020 Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference Companion, pp. 319-320. 2020. (CORE rank A)
- Adeem Ali Anwar+, and Irfan Younas. "Optimization of Many Objective Pickup and Delivery Problem with Delay Time of Vehicle Using Memetic Decomposition Based Evolutionary Algorithm." International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools 29, no. 01 (2020): 2050003. (Impact Factor = 0.689)
- Hafiz Asadul Rehman+, Muhammad Iqbal, Irfan Younas, and Maryam Bashir. "Learning Regular Expressions Using XCS-Based Classifier System." International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence (2019): 2051011. (Impact Factor = 1.375)
- Irfan Younas, Farzad Kamrani, Maryam Bashir, and Johan Schubert. "Efficient genetic algorithms for optimal assignment of tasks to teams of agents." Neurocomputing 314 (2018): 409-42 (Impact Factor = 4.438)
· Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
· Higher Colleges of Technology, Fujairah, United Arab Emirates